Paul H. Silverman, concentrates on corporate reorganization, creditors’ & debtors’ domestic and foreign cross-border law, forensic investigations as well as called on as special counsel for commercial/financial strategies in trust & estate matters requiring experienced lawyering. Paul has structured sophisticated work-out settlements and tried federal civil and criminal cases to conclusion. He serves as U.S. local counsel/advisor to non-U.S. court appointed administrators.
Representations: Bureau of National Affairs, Rio Tinto., First Interstate Properties, Intercontinental Hotels, Quebecor World, Solar World, Paul was involved in Enron, World Com, Circuit City, Quimonda, Edscha and Lehman and is counsel to high-net-worth individuals. For example: as to cross-border matters, Paul timely obtained resolution enabling Multicanal, an Argentina cable provider, to reorganize, obtained a Chapter 15 injunction for Daewoo’s Korean Receiver’s U.S. interests, and succeeded in an international fraud investigation and London court trial with a $10+ million U.K. recovery and U.S federal incarceration of the fraudster. Domestically, Paul represented individuals entangled in the Madoff bankruptcy matter.
Public Service and Education: Mr. Silverman’s government service: law clerk to Hon. Thomas Croake, Southern District of New York; Assistant in the Office of the U.S. Attorney General (O.D.A.L.E.), Assistant U.S. Attorney, S.D.N.Y. (criminal/civil divisions, (tax and bankruptcy units)) He has a certificate for advanced mediation training and is a Bankruptcy Court mediator panelist. Paul graduated from Fordham University Law School in New York (Fordham Law Review), with a B.A. degree in both Philosophy and History from Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA, a member of ODK, national leadership honorary society, and president of APO, a national dramatic honorary society.
Law & Community Service: He was a leader in professional associations: N.Y. State Bar Association – House of Delegates appointment, Business Section Chair and Bankruptcy Committee Chair; Presently, City Bar Association – Bankruptcy Committee member (Int’l and Avoidance Subcommittees) and former Banking Committee member. Community Service – Village of Larchmont NY Budget Committee Chair, former president of his synagogue and Horseshoe Harbor Yacht Club secretary, where he and his wife kayak.
United States Supreme Court
Court of Appeals
|1997||2nd Cir 1975|
|3rd Cir 2001|
|4th Cir 1988|
Speaking Engagements: An awarded speaker by the N.Y.S.B.A.; invited lecturer by the Am. Bar.Assoc’n, Goethe University Law and Finance Graduate Program (Frankfurt), the E.U. Commission on State Aid Recovery (Brussels), the Annual German National Insolvency Conference (Frankfurt), and at law and finance conferences in Helsinki, Madrid, Paris & Prague, as well as invited speaker at the Int’l Bar Assoc.n Annual Insol/Reorg. Conference (Venice) and throughout Germany.
Publications & Honors
- 2017 Annual New York State Bar Association Caplan Award for exemplary and long-time service to the Business Law Section and its 4,000 members
- Chapter 11 Law Revisions Being Considered – Vast Reform Report Condensed with Insightful Comments, International Insolvency Law Review, vol. 2/2015 at pp. 123-144 (Verlag C.H.Beck) (2015: Munich, Frankfurt)
- Use of U.S. Bankruptcy Courts: An Introduction to Chapter 15 Bankruptcy Code Law with Annotations of Significant U.S.Court Decisions, Sanierung und Insolvenz, Festchrift fuer K.H. Görg (Verlag C.H. Beck 2010: Munich)
- Reforming Characteristics of Maintenance Deposits to Avoid Treatment as Cash Collateral, Law Journal Newsletter’s Equipment Leasing Newsletter, Vol.23 no. 2, March 2004
- Dickinson College (B.A., 1968)
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1971)
- Yonkers, NY
- New York, 1972
- New York State Bar Association, Business Section
- New York City Bar Association, Bankruptcy Committee