Mr. Chernin received his B.A. degree from The University of Hawaii in 1978 and his J.D. degree from New York Law School in 1985. Upon graduation he has been associated with several boutique IP firms. He joined McLaughlin & Stern in 2001 together with the partners of Deutsch Klagsbrun & Blasband LLP.
Mr. Chernin’s practice includes all facets of copyright, trademark, trade secret law and protection and licensing of intellectual property rights, including prosecution of trademark applications in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and litigation before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (successfully arguing to establish an author’s right to register her name as a trademark, overturning prior PTO policy) and in the courts. Mr. Chernin’s clientele include, inter alia, book and magazine publishers, authors, apparel companies, and jewelry designers and manufacturers. In addition, Mr. Chernin handles IP aspects of corporate transactions.
Mr, Chernin was admitted to practice in the State of New York in 1986 and is admitted to the US District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York. He is fluent in German.
- New York Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1985
- Journal of International and Comparative Law, Notes & Comments Editor, 1985
- University of Hawaii, B.A., 1978
- New York, 1986
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York