Mimi Hyman practices in the area of international corporate law, representing clients predominantly based in Brazil, including manufacturers, banks, financial institutions, hedge funds, private equity funds, and high net worth individuals in their activities worldwide. She also has extensive experience in employment matters.
Ms. Hyman is a 1977 graduate of Hofstra University School of Law, where she was articles editor for Hofstra Law Review, and a summa cum laude graduate of Brandeis University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She speaks Portuguese.
RELATED NEWS & PRESS
LIBOR TRANSITION--PHASE-OUT EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2022 The use of LIBOR as an interest rate reference will be phased out at the end of 2021. Except…Share This
On January 1, 2021, Congress passed the Corporate Transparency Act (“CTA”). The CTA will become effective on January 1, 2022. The CTA will require…Share This
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D., 1977)
- Brandeis University (B.A., summa cum laude, 1963)
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Brazilian American Chamber of Commerce – Member, Committee on Trade and Business Investment
- American Foreign Law Association, Inc. – Member
- Brandeis University – Advisory Board of the Women’s Studies Research Center
- Hofstra University Law School – Law Review Alumni Advisory Board – Business Law Advisory Committee
- 71st Street Lexington Corporation – Board of Directors, 2013-present; 2004-2007; 1998-2001; 1990-1993 – President, 2006-2007; 1999-2001; 1991-1993
- Court Appointed Special Advocates – NYC – Board of Directors, 2011-2015
- Brooklyn Child and Family Services, Inc. – Board of Directors, Vice President, 2009-2011
- Kinhaven Music School, Weston, Vermont – Board of Directors, 2000-2007
- New York Civil Liberties Union – Governance Committee, 2005-2010 – Board of Directors, 1998-2006; Director Emeritus – Elected 2013
- Mayor’s Task Force on Status of Women – Steering Committee, 1991-1992
- EAC, Inc. (Social Service and Court Diversion Agency) – Counsel and Member, Board of Trustees, 1987-1992
Publications & Honors
- Outstanding Women in Law, Hofstra University Law School, Awardee, 2019
- Listed in Avenue Magazine’s Legal Elite: New York City’s Top Women Lawyers, 2011
- Listed in Manhattan edition of Super Lawyers, 2006
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Represented Bank Negara Indonesia in a borrowing in which Bank of America acted as lender.
- Obtained approval from the Federal Reserve Board and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) for Banco do Estado do Rio Grande do Sul, S.A. to open a branch in Miami.
- Represented Brazilian-based clothing designer, cachaça manufacturer and cosmetic company in financing, organizing and operating their businesses in U.S.
- Prepared disclosure documents for numerous structured products and account agreements for several banks and financial institutions.
- Advised U.S. investor in structuring private equity fund for investment in Brazilian portfolio companies.
- Represented U.S. banks in secured financings in U.S., Mexico, Portugal and Brazil.
- Represented Dutch private equity group in the formation of Cayman private equity funds and in acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio investments in the U.S. and Europe.
- Represented Spanish-based group in disposition of assets and liquidation of U.S. retail operations.
- Represented Brazilian banks in cross-border aircraft leasing and secured financing transactions.