Lauren B. Cramer is a member of the Firm’s Tax-Exempt Organizations department, where she advises public charities, private foundations, associations, community foundations and other 501(c) organizations. Her practice focuses largely on organizational structuring, governance and accountability issues, joint ventures between for-profits and tax-exempts, international grantmaking, and program-related investments. Ms. Cramer joined McLaughlin & Stern in 1995.
- Advised major national charity on structuring its governance relationship with local affiliates.
- Advised U.S. public charity in connection with its merger with a British charitable trust and grants from U.S. private foundations.
- Advised substantial private foundation on innovative program-related investment program in foreign countries.
- Advised innovative social media platform for non-profit related activities.
- Restructured key New York City social services agency and its related organizations to reduce exposure to liability, protect its endowment, and enable it to provide services and raise funds more effectively.
- Restructured and merged for-profit performing arts organization as public charity.
- Advised numerous organizations on governance, grantsmaking and structural issues.
Ms. Cramer received a B.A. degree in political science from Northwestern University in 1987 and a J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law in 1994. Prior to graduation from Syracuse, Ms. Cramer pursued a career in finance and not-for-profit administration.
Her community and professional affiliations include the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Member and New York State Bar Association. Ms. Cramer is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of Syracuse University and Board Chair of the Syracuse University College of Visual and Performing Arts. She serves on the boards of The Philanthropy Workshop, National Dance Institute, New York Stage and Film, and Community Help in Park Slope, among others. She has also served as an officer and director of numerous charitable organizations in a pro-bono capacity, advising both private foundations and public charities in issues relating to governance, compliance, administration and the law. She has served as a guest lecturer at New York University and Syracuse University.
RELATED NEWS & PRESS
Raising the Barre: Curriculum for the Next Generation of Leadership in Dance offers creative solutions to properly equip female dance leaders of the future with…Share This
McLaughlin & Stern Partner Lauren Cramer speaks on her Philanthropy. Watch “Interview with Lauren Cramer | TPW 2022 Global Summit” on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/690411365?ref=em-share The Philanthropy…Share This
- Syracuse University College of Law (J.D., 1994)
- Northwestern University (B.A., 1987)
- New York
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- New York State Bar Association