Jeffrey P. Gorak is Counsel in the Firm’s Trusts and Estates Practice Group. Mr. Gorak focuses his practice on estate planning, tax planning and charitable giving for high-net-worth individuals, families, and business owners. Mr. Gorak works closely with clients and their advisors to articulate their objectives and provide practical solutions to meet their goals. This typically involves designing personalized plans that minimize both income and transfer tax, and leverage gift, estate and generation-skipping transfer tax exemptions to preserve and protect family wealth for generations.
Additionally, Mr. Gorak handles proceedings for the appointments of fiduciaries and all fiduciary-related relief in the Surrogate’s Court for the administration of trusts and estates. He routinely applies his litigation background to incorporate defensive planning strategies to identify and avoid future conflict.
- Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch (2021 – 2023)
- New York Metro Rising Star by Super Lawyers (2018 – 2022)
- Public Interest/Pro-Bono Attorney of the Year by Touro College’s Jacob D. Fuchsberg Law Center
- “SECURE Trust Planning”, New York Law Journal, October 2022
- “The Critical Importance of a Power of Attorney for Incapacitated Individuals,” The CPA Journal, May 2017.
- “Elder Care Planning: How to Avoid a Turnover Proceeding,” The Nassau Lawyer, March 2017. “Non-Judicial Separation May Not Be Enough to Disqualify a Surviving Spouse,” The Queens Bar Bulletin, October 2016.
- “Revocatory Effect of Divorce on Testamentary Bequests Between Former Spouses Does Not Extend to Relatives of the Former Spouse,” The Queens Bar Bulletin, January 2016.
- “Protecting an Incapacitated Surviving Spouse’s Right of Election,” New York State Bar Association Trusts and Estates Law Section Newsletter, Fall 2015.
- “The Right of Election and Fraudulent Marriages in New York,” LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis 6065, November 2011 .
New York, Second Department
- Stony Brook University (B.S., 2009)
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D., 2013)
New York State Bar Association (Trust & Estate Law Section)