Charles S. Warren, Partner Environmental practice, recognized as one of the pre-eminent lawyers in his field, counsels and represents clients in a comprehensive range of environmental law matters. A former regional administrator with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Chuck brings more than 40 years of knowledge and experience in environmental law, both in government and private practice, to his work on behalf of clients.
Chuck advises public and privately held corporations as well as other organizations, and individuals on compliance under state and federal environmental statutes and regulations, including the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, the Toxic Substances Control Act, solid waste and brownfield laws, the Superfund law and other hazardous waste statutes, as well as the Occupational Safety and Health Act. He also provides environmental auditing, environmental impact review and due diligence work for these clients, and represents them in permitting, enforcement procedures and litigation. Chuck’s clients have included major real estate developers with environmental problems such as hazardous waste issues; industrial companies with air pollution, water pollution and hazardous waste issues; and creditors’ committees in bankruptcies involving major environmental issues.
As a member of interdisciplinary teams, Chuck also performs critical environmental review and due diligence in the context of corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and bankruptcies and restructurings as well as in some of the largest and most well-known real estate transactions and developments in New York.
Chuck serves as a member of the Policy Committee of the New York/New Jersey Harbor Estuary Program. He previously served as regional administrator for Region II (New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands) of the EPA, as director of the EPA’s Office of Legislation and as chief legislative assistant to U.S. Sen. Jacob K. Javits of New York.
Chuck is a fellow of the American College of Environmental Lawyers. Chambers Best Lawyers and the Guide to the World’s Leading Environmental Lawyers have repeatedly ranked him as a leading practitioner. Best Lawyers named him New York’s Best Environmental Lawyer of the Year 2014 and in 2011 he received the Global Award for the New York Environmental Attorney of the Year from Corporate INTL magazine.
- LL.M., New York University
- J.D., Columbia Law School
- B.A., cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, University of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S.C.A., 2nd Circuit
- U.S.C.A., 4th Circuit
- U.S.D.C., District of Columbia
- U.S.D.C., Eastern District of New York
- U.S.D.C., Northern District of New York
U.S.D.C., Southern District of New York
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow
- New York/New Jersey Harbor Estuary Program, Member, Policy Committee
- New York League of Conservation Voters, Member of the Board
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Environmental Law Section
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- President of the Board Settlement Housing Fund
- Community Board 8 Manhattan, Member
- Lenox Hill Neighborhood House, Member of the Board
- Advisory Board of Civitas Citizens Inc., Member
- Advisory Board of the Riverkeeper, Member