Penny B. Kassel, Esq. established The Law Offices of Penny B. Kassel, P.C., with offices in Garden City, Hauppauge, and East Hampton. Ms. Kassel comes to the legal profession with a unique background. With a Master’s Degree in Counseling and after working for a pharmaceutical company, Ms. Kassel spent many years handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases. For more than 30 years she has devoted the majority of her time to estate planning and administration and to elder law matters.
Ms. Kassel spends a good deal of time presenting seminars and discussion groups to attorneys and laypeople with regard to elder law matters and guardianships for elderly or infirmed/handicapped family members. She strongly believes that everyone, young and old alike, should have the information necessary to plan for their future, their children’s futures and even their parents’ futures. She expertly explains the benefits and drawbacks of having such documents as a Last Will and Testament, Power of Attorney, Revocable or Irrevocable Trust, Health Care Proxy, Living Will and the importance of appropriate ownership of real property. She emphasizes the importance of protecting assets and ensuring that documents are drafted to reflect her clients’ wishes.
Ms. Kassel is a member of the Ethics Review Committee of South Nassau Communities Hospital and a Member of the Business Advisory Board of the Vincent Smith School in Port Washington, NY. She served for many years as chair of the Legal Advisory Committee of the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation and is still active on that committee. She handles elder law matters for the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) and the Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA) and is a frequent lecturer for medical facilities, bar associations, financial planners and community organizations. She is a member of the Board of Directors of her condominium. Ms. Kassel is a supporter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and has raised more than $30,000 in the past years for important research by completing three 100-mile Bike Rides, the Long Island Half Marathon, and many triathlons, through her participation with Team in Training. Ms. Kassel has been an honoree of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation. She is a past director of the Nassau County Bar Association and former chair of its Elder Law Committee. Ms. Kassel was a member of the Board of Directors of Nursing Sisters Home Care and hosted the radio show, “Planning with Penny” on WLUX.
Ms. Kassel understands the sensitive nature of elder law matters and planning for the future. Her clients appreciate her gentle nature and her ability to explain the law, allowing them to make informed decisions.
Publications & Honors
- Founder and member of Legal Advisory Panel to the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation, United Federation of Teachers, and Civil Service Employees Association
- Chosen as one of the Top 100 Long Island Legal Eagles by Pulse Magazine 2011 and 2012
- Chosen as honoree by Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation and Multiple Sclerosis Society
- NYSBA Trusts and Estates Law Section Journal: Beware of Abusing Article 81 Guardianships
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- State University of New York at Buffalo (M.Ed., 1971)
- Pennsylvania State University (B.A., 1970)
- University of Strasbourg, France (1968)
- New York
- Member of Ethic Committee of South Nassau Communities Hospital
- Member of Legal Advisory Panel to the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Member of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, New York Bar Association, Nassau County Bar Association, Nassau County Women’s Bar Association, Jewish Lawyers Association of Nassau County
- Member of the Business Advisory Board of the Vincent Smith School in Port Washington, NY
- Lecturer for Nassau County Bar Association, New York State Bar Association, NBI and American Bar Association. Frequent lecturer at hospitals, nursing homes, senior citizen centers and adult education
- Former Chair of Legal Advisory Panel to the Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation
- Formerly the host of “Planning with Penny” on WLUX Radio
- Former Director of the Nassau County Bar Association
- Former Chairperson of the Nassau County Bar Association’s Elder Law Social Service and Health Advocacy Committee; currently an active Member
- Lemon Law Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association
- Speaker at training for new AAA Lemon Law Arbitrators
- Former Member of Board of Trustees of Nursing Sisters Home Care
- Penny B. Kassel to Lecture on General Estate and Asset Protection Planning
Frequent lecturer for medical facilities, nursing homes, community organizations, financial planners, accountants, attorneys, and social workers