Judge Canter was elected to a four-year term as Town Justice for The Town of Harrison, NY from 2012 through 2015, and provides complex civil litigation services to the business community and insurance industry with a concentration on property subrogation for domestic and foreign insurance carriers. Judge Canter spearheaded and manages the firm’s national Insurance Subrogation Group.
Judge Canter also provides outside general counsel services to corporations, suppliers, manufacturers and distributors for national litigation coordination, risk management and commercial litigation, transactional advice, intellectual property enforcement, and negotiation and preparation of licensing, manufacturing and distribution agreements. Judge Canter also engages in state and federal criminal defense and white-collar criminal investigations.
Judge Canter has litigated large loss property subrogation and product liability cases throughout the United States and has led hundreds of complex origin and cause investigations involving fires and explosions, construction defects, building collapse, crane malfunctions, construction defects, heavy equipment failures, energy losses, turbine failures, fire suppression system failures, product liability and a wide range of complex commercial disputes.
Judge Canter began his career in law enforcement as an Assistant District Attorney for the County of Westchester, New York, where he tried over 75 cases to verdict. Judge Canter coordinated extensive under-cover narcotics investigations and presented over 150 cases to Westchester County Grand Juries.
In 1992, Judge Canter entered private practice and joined the late former Assistant United States Attorney William I. Aronwald in various high-profile criminal defense matters including People v. Carolyn Warmus, which the press dubbed the “fatal attraction murder trial.” Judge Canter is a Life Member of the Purchase Fire Department where has been an active firefighter for over 40 years, rose through the line officer ranks of Lieutenant, Captain and Assistant Chief and has served on the Board of Directors for the last 20 years.
Judge Canter has been a Guest Instructor for the Expert Witness Courtroom Testimony Course for the International Association of Arson Investigators and a Guest Speaker at many national conferences for the Property Loss Research Bureau and National Association of Subrogation Professionals. Judge Canter is the New York State Delegate for the International Association of Arson Investigators’ Attorney Advisory Committee, was appointed by Governor George Pataki for a 2-year term to the Management Advisory Board of Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s Office of Inspector General, and was appointed in 2014 to the Executive Board of the Westchester County Arson Task Force.
Judge Canter is a member of the Mediation Panel for the Southern District of New York and provides private ADR/Mediation services for complex commercial, Insurance and business disputes.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D. 1987)
- American University (B.A. 1983)
- University of London – School of Economics, 1982
- White Plains, N.Y.
- Connecticut State Bar: 2013
- New York State Bar: 1988
- New Jersey State Bar: 1987
- United States Supreme Court (1995)
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Second Circuit (1998)
- Fifth Circuit (1997 – Inactive Status)
- United States District Court:
- District of Vermont (2018)
- Western District of Wisconsin (2014)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin (2012)
- Northern District of New York (2010)
- Western District of New York (2013)
- Western District of Michigan (1994)
- District of Connecticut (1993)
- Eastern District of New York (1992)
- Southern District of New York (1988)
- District of New Jersey (1987)
- International Association of Arson Investigators (IAAI) – N.Y. State Delegate to the Attorney Advisory Committee
- Purchase Fire Department – Life Member, Director and former Captain and Assistant Chief
- Westchester County Arson Task Force – Executive Board Member
- Westchester County Association of Fire Marshals & Inspectors – Legal Advisor.
- Ranaqua Foundation – Life Member
- Shihou-Ken Karate: 3rd degree Black Belt/Instructor