Prior to joining McLaughlin & Stern in 2001, David Blasband had been a member of Deutsch Klagsbrun & Blasband and its predecessor, with whom he practiced law since 1963. He is a graduate of Cornell University and the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
Mr. Blasband specializes in civil litigation including intellectual property, copyright, trademark, publishing, entertainment law and First Amendment issues. He has successfully litigated major lawsuits in those fields, representing the prevailing parties in leading cases.
Mr. Blasband has also litigated employment discrimination, antitrust and commercial cases, and prevailed on behalf of members of the New York State Board of Regents, whom he represented in the Buffalo, New York, school desegregation case, Arthur v. Nyquist, 573 F.2d 134 (2d Cir. 1978).
He is a member of the board of directors of the Trisha Brown Dance Company. He has lectured on copyright law at the Cardozo School of Law and New York Law School. He is a member of the American Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Mr. Blasband resides in New York City with his wife, Francie Alexander.
- Steve Wynn v. Lyle Stuart, 16 P 3d 424 (2001);
- Southeast Bank, N.A. as Personal Representative of the Estate of Tennessee
- Margo v. Weiss, 213 F.3d 55 (2d Cir. 2000)
- Woods v. Bourne Co., 841 F. Supp 118 (S.D.N.Y. 1994);
- Eisen v. Houghton Mifflin, Tolkien et al., 794 F. Supp. 85 (S.D.N.Y. 1992), aff’d, 990 F.2d 623 (2d Cir. 1993);
- Peggy Lee v. Disney, Case No. C705414 (Sup. Ct. L.A. Co. 1991);
- Childress v. Taylor, 945 F.2d 500 (2d Cir. 1991);
- Branch v. Ogilvy & Mather, 772 F. Supp. 1359 (S.D.N.Y. 1991);
- Locke v. Times Mirror, 1985 Copyright L. Dec. (CCH) ¶25,750 9S.D.N.Y. 1990), 772 F. Supp. 1359 (S.D.N.Y. 1991);
- Hearn v. Meyer, 664 F. Supp. 832 (S.D.N.Y. 1987);
- Williams v. Lawrence, 66 N.Y.2d 910, 498 N.Y.S.2d 775 (1985);
- Salamone v. Macmillan, 77 A.D.2d 501 (1980);
- Hospital for Sick Children v. Melody Fare Dinner Theater, 516 F. Supp. 67 (E.D. Va. 1980);
- Harcourt Brace & World v. Graphic Controls Corporation, 329 F. Supp. 517 (S.D.N.Y. 1971);
- T.B. Harms Company v. Eliscu, 339 F.2d 823 (2d Cir. 1964);
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (LL.B., 1958)
- Cornell University (A.B., 1955)
- Philadelphia, PA
- New York, 1962
- Pennsylvania, 1959
- United States Supreme Court, 1990
- Member, Committee on Lectures and Continuing Legal Education, 1992—1996
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Member, Copyright Committee, 1989—1992
- American Bar Association