On graduation from Yale Law School, Alvin specialized in copyright with an emphasis in the fields of music, theater and publishing. Alvin was the co-founder of Deutsch Klagsbrun & Blasband, which for the past 40 years has established an expertise in intellectual property. He was a member of the Executive Committee of the Copyright Society, a former chair of the Legitimate Theatre Committee of the American Bar Association and is an adjunct professor of copyright at Cardozo School of Law.
He serves as general counsel and trustee of The Johnny Mercer Foundation, The Neighborhood Playhouse School and The Goodspeed Opera House. Until is acquisition by McGraw Hill, he was counsel to and board member of Visual Education Corporation, the principal packager/creator of books in the elementary and high school fields. He is a trustee and fellow of the NY Academy of Medicine and serves on the Library Advisory Council of Johns Hopkins University. He was Parnas-presidente of The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue (founded in 1654).
- Yale Law School (LL.B., 1958)
- Johns Hopkins University (A.B., 1953)
- New York, NY
- New York, 1959
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A. (Trustee and Member, Executive Committee, 1996—present)
- Member, Special Committee on Entertainment and Sports, 1980—present)
- American Bar Association (Chairman, Legitimate Theatre Division Forum Committee on Entertainment and Sports, 1979—1984; Member, Governing Board, 1984—1990)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York (Member, Special Committee on Communication and Law, 1974—1975)